Volunteer With Us
There’s a particular camaraderie that belongs only to those who’ve shared in the challenge to save the life of a fellow human being. It’s an experience that Search and Rescue Volunteers know and value. Water is a very dynamic environment to work in, and the operations that the GulfSAR teams get called out for are varied. Operations can be anything from regional flooding from a severe weather event (such as a Hurricane) or assisting local government agencies sweep rivers and waterways for missing persons. You’ll find yourself stretched, both physically and mentally, but you’ll find a powerful new meaning to your life as an active contributor in communities in need.
Successful applicants will be invited to participate with our team as Prospective Members.
Prospective Members of GulfSAR must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must pass a background check **we are not concerned about traffic tickets or misdemeanors
- Each Deployable Member must obtain a FAST 1 certification and meet all certification standards. We will guide and/or train our members internally to meet these requirements.
- All members must maintain the necessary training hours annually to provide the safest and highest levels of expertise.
- All team members are required to supply and maintain their own equipment (list will be provided). If after reviewing the list, you find you don’t have everything required, please don’t let that stop you from joining the team. WE’ll let you know what is critical and which things can wait. We advise against purchasing new gear until you’ve had a chance to discuss options with current team members.
Before joining, you should know:
- We are a volunteer organization. We do not get paid for our work.
- Searches are urgent in nature. We can be called out any hours of the day or night, in all types of weather, temperatures, and terrain. Applicants who are active with family activities and/or demanding employment schedules should consider their level of flexibility in the home and workplace. Discuss your decision to apply with your household and employer.
- We search for all kinds of people in all kinds of situations: missing hikers, hunters, children, Alzheimer’s patients, suicide victims, body recoveries, and more. You always have the option of not participating in any particular Operation, but we want you to know upfront that we do hard work, both physically and emotionally.
- As outlined above, group membership is not a quick process. There are a number of team requirements you must meet before you may participate in Operations. Your personal motivation level will dictate your progress and the team does impose reasonable time limits to become field ready.
- Search and rescue work can be the most unforgiving, ungrateful, unappreciated work you’ve ever not been paid for. You can spend days searching for someone you might never find, or who might not say thank you. However, it will also be the most selfless, rewarding thing you will ever be a part of.
If you are interested in becoming part of the GulfSAR family, please email our Assistant Director below.